Soups are a great way to pack wholesome meals on the go because they are generally easily transportable, and provided you have a means to warm them up (if they require warming up) you are good to go! I’m currently cutting my carbohydrate intake to <25g per day and this soup fits perfectly into a meal plan where I’m trying not to exclude high carbohydrate veggies given their contribution to carbohydrates in any given day.
Interesting fact: Rosemary has been hailed since ancient times for its medicinal properties. Rosemary was traditionally used to help alleviate muscle pain, improve memory, boost the immune and circulatory system, and promote hair growth. So not only is this recipe delicious its good for you too!
- 4-6 Leeks, Washed and Sliced
- Knob Butter
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Chopped Rosemary
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 2 Heads (500g) Broccoli, Chopped into Florets
- 3 Cups (750ml) Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Milled Pepper
- 2 Cups (500ml) Mature Cheddar, Grated
- Low Carb Seed Bread for Serving
- Saute leeks in a little butter and olive oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cheese, and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Blitz in a liquidiser to desired consistency.
- Stir through cheese and mix well.
- Season soup with salt and pepper and serve immediately with low carb seed bread.
- To make low carb croutons simply break up the seed bread and fry for a few minutes in butter.