Before I reveal my list of 40 (realistic) things I’d like to do before 40 I’d like to frame this post with some of the research I did into the whole ’40 before 40’ concept. I think the idea started a few years ago while browsing the web and finding people who had started their own 40 before 40 bucket list and being a a big list maker of course I bought into the whole concept from the get go.
Like any good researcher I Googled the idea of ’40 before 40’ and came up with a few interesting articles, all of which had weirdly different results for what I should be including on my list:
- The Independent thinks I should: Enjoy a really amazing £100 bottle of wine without thinking about the price tag. [not with our currency conversion mate]
- Babble promotes being realistic: Unrealistic Goal: Have teeth professionally whitened; Realistic Goal: Have a cleaning at the dentist [gosh that sounds exciting]
- A fellow South African blogger Jenty: suggests booking a boudoir shoot [hmmmm… BIG maybe]
- The Daily Mail suggests: Learning to ride a tank [replace tank with aeroplane and I’m in]
I’ve pondered all of the posts above, as well as a number of others, and come to the conclusion that while driving a Ferrari down the Champs Elysees may be on some peoples 40 before 40 list, mine had to be a little more realistic. I also decided to exclude a number of the altruistic items that I’m sure
should would be included on most lists, and center the list about what would make me happy (with the emphasis on me – yes this is me being all millennial instead of admitting I’m a generation-x’er).
- Volunteer somewhere that makes my spirit sing
- Write, Print, Design an inspirational book of quotes
- Go on date nights once a month with the hubby
- Hubby gets 3 weeks leave I get 4 – Use my extra week to travel abroad solo
- Take a few cooking / food related courses
- Learn to cold pressed soap
- Print a photo book
- Learn to make DIY skin products
- Grow veggies from scratch: successfully
- Visit 3 museums in Cape Town
- Lose the freaking 10kg!
- Document all of the South Pen Suburbs in Cape Town for ‘le-blog’
- Complete a photography project
- Learn to use my Fujifilm Camera Properly
- Shoot 12 Recipes this year and blog about them
- Home DIY / Fixes (bedrooms, bathrooms, paint, pictures the list is long!)
- Write a letter to my 50 year old self
- Go an an epic hike
- Revamp my blog
- Get Social with my blog and get sponsorships
- Climb Lions Head, Cape Town
- Learn to SUP
- Take Helicopter Ride
- Go Glamping
- Break a bad habit
- Take part in one cool sporting event a month
- Find an inspired business idea – run with it
- Run a marathon?
- Eat at Foxcroft, Mojo Market, Foodbarn, the list goes on….
- Read a fiction book end to end
- Read a non-fiction book end to end
- One West Coast Weekend Away [Dog Friendly]
- One East Coast Weekend Away [Dog Friendly]
- Take an online course to help my blog [Udemy, Creative Live etc.]
- Sew picnic blanket patchwork
- Watch the top 10 IMDB movie list
- Open an Investment account
- Picnic more!
- Take a girls trip to somewhere unexpected
- Sip Cocktails on a rooftop bar
- Invest time in my pooches health
- Shoot a set of photos of the dogs I can be proud of
- Run the Victoria Falls Half Marathon, Zimbabwe
- Sail a yacht in Table Bay, Cape Town
- Kayak to visit the Penguins at Boulders beach, Cape Town
- Have a professional photoshoot done with someone amazing
As you can see I’m already running over the allotted 40 items, but I’m fine with that, as expected this list will change over the year and while I’m going to do my utmost to work through the list. I expect the following of this list:
- The list will evolve over time.
- I won’t get to the end of this list before the *big day* and I’m going to be ok with that.
- I’ll enjoy moving over a few items from this list to my bucket list of items to do before 60.
For those of you that are interested to follow along on this little escapade I have included a 40 before 40 link in the column of the blog, and if you have read this far and you are a little perplexed by why I would be writing up such a list please refer to my coffee & catch up from October 2017.